| Comments ]



I've been M.I.A.

It's remiss of me, I know, but my life circumstances converged in such a way that it just couldn't be helped.

I'm going back to school to pick up some current tech certifications, and between the chronic injuries and illnesses (I know you guys know all about how fast a bug runs through the league), the stress, the late nights and long weekends, I just had to let something go.

I had to quit the league. Not an easy decision to be sure, and one I vacillated over for a long time, but ultimately vital to my personal health, mental well-being and school career.

Does it mean I don't still love the shit out of roller derby? No. Does it mean I will never return to skating? Certainly not. It just means I had to put some activities and priorities on hold. Take some time for professional development, for myself and my relationship, and possibly, for a less demanding hobby.

So what of Fishnet Burnns??

I know I've been away from this blog for some time, but I just can't continue to let it sit idle due to all the comments, Twitter sign ups, emails and other communication I get from all you derby folk. I know there's still a need for this kind of blog so I'll keep giving what I can.

Today, I want to talk about burnout. We all feel it from time to time, and for some leagues it becomes such a chronic and pervasive problem that numbers dwindle and completing projects and putting on events becomes near-impossible. For other leagues, burnout seems almost a non-issue and turnover is small.

What's the difference? What makes skaters feel ready to take on the derby world and what makes them want to hang up their skates?

I want to hear from YOU on this issue, because even though it seems an incendiary topic, a mere footnote in the world or roller derby, I think it's not that at all. I think it's a bigger issue than we want to admit because we love derby so damn much. I also think it's one of the main differences between leagues that struggle and leagues that flourish and one the factors that will determine if the roller derby resurgence passes away as another fad, or grows to engulf the nation the way it once did.

Post your comments. Send me your ideas. Call your captains and board members and your injured or retired teammates and ask them to sound off on the issue. Let's get a dialogue going that might save a tired rollergirl, or maybe even save roller derby.